Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Berry & cream cheese topping for pancakes




I love cream cheese. I could eat cream cheese icing by the bowlful. And berries and cream cheese on pancakes is a delicious classic.

I've seen topping recipes with cream cheese and whipped cream but I didn't have any cream - what I did have was ice cream, so I thought, why not?

This topping is easy and yummy. All you need...

Cream cheese
Vanilla ice cream
Icing sugar
Berries - fresh or frozen



While the pancakes were cooking, I put about 5 heaped tablespoons of cream cheese, a scoop of ice cream and a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of icing sugar. (Super accurate measurements I know... Just taste and rejigger how you like.) This made enough for several people/servings.

Top your pancakes with the berries, cream cheese mix & a squeeze of maple syrup if you want. Yum.

This topping is not as light and fluffy as if you used whipped cream, but its creamy and sweet and tastes like cream cheese... That does it for me!

Now for a what not to do:
I'd just started the dishwasher before realising our one and only fry pan was in there. So to cook the pancakes I thought I'd try using the sandwich press.... Not a disaster by any means, but not really a great success. It works in a pinch, but doesn't really get hot enough to work well.




Update: I froze the leftover cream cheese mix and then just scooped it out still frozen on my pancakes the next day. Mmm mmm.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...